Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Drummers of Next Big Nashville: Logan Linning with The Young Republic




"Chance is that fleeting friend, who sits in the back of your show and leaves before you get the chance to talk to them. You have to have a song/story that draws them to the front of the crowd, and then rapidly grab them, and take your opportunity while you can, cause everybody wants what you got. Until then, it's all blood, sweat, and tears! Every night! My dad continues to tell me, son "half the pay is the play". And so it is. When your done at the end of a show, there is this glow that is inexplainable. You feel invincible, given you played a good show. It really just magnifies your feelings. Good=Excellent Bad=Horrible"

-Logan Linning

As I was editing this interview, this quote really grabbed my attention. In that short paragraph Logan explains the pains of music as well as the exhiliration of why we do what we do. And while we're on quotes...I was going to write up a small intro for this, but i think this BBC review by Michael Quinn says it all...especially about their new release...

"Embracing old and new influences – from Dylan and late, Lennon-led Beatles to Pixies and Arcade Fire, with The Wolf conjuring up the sort of combustible commotion you might expect from The Raconteurs – The Young Republic’s subtle borrowings and hidden homages play out against a larger, intricately designed canvas that makes significant claims for a band whose time has come."



You can buy their new cd, "Balletesque", here.






How long has the band been around, how long have you been with them, and how did you get the gig?

The band has been around for about 5 years. They met at school and continued on after finishing up. Once graduated, they moved here to Nashville, about the same time that I did. Fast forward about 8 months....I was in a lull as far as bands go and I needed more involvement, so I checked into Craigslist. That is where I found the posting for "Drummer Needed". The band just had a split with their previous drummer, and I happened to answer the call. After the initial audition, then 2 more call backs, they told me they wanted me to be their drummer. That was 1 year ago, around this time.

What's your background with the drums?

I grew up performing music. At the 4th grade, my parents bought me a snare drum and got me involved in band. I gradually progressed from the snare to the set, then singing while playing, then Jazz band in High School. At this time I was leading the percussion class at my High School. I eventually got a scholarship for Jazz Drumming, and continued on to college. I have taken lessons on and off, studying under Charlie Adams, drummer for Yanni, just to name one teacher. However, it was mainly school and self teaching that I have learned a majority of what I do. To truly listen to the music is such a great teacher!

Traditional or Matched grip?

I have a hybrid way of drumming. A majority of what i do is with matched grip. When I play jazz, or with brushes, I play a traditional style, but with my snare hand palm face down. It gives me the feeling of matched grip but has more of the subleties of traditional grip. I got this idea from the book "Brushworks" by: Clayton Cameron, whom many claim is the brush-work king. His book is amazing, and I would highly recommend it for anyone who wants to expand into the intricate field of brushwork.

Favorite drummer?

Thats a hard one to classify. For classic prog-rock, it is hands down, Neil Peart, of Rush. For pop music, I would have to go with Carter Beauford, of Dave Matthews Band. And for new prog-rock, I am really into Gavin Harrison, of Porcupine Tree. Of course, Buddy Rich is on top. Man, the more I watch live footage of him, the more he seems out of this world. That man was amazing!

Favorite band?

I am a rocker at heart.. Got to say Led Zepplin and The Doors. I spent more time listening to these two groups in my life than any other bands. The Zep, for all-out drumming, and the Doors, for a more relaxed, jazzy style feel.

Do you have a consistent practice time outside of rehearsals and if so what do you work on, how long, etc?

I must admit, I am bad at this. I go in spurts. I will do good for a few weeks, then totally not practice at all. The band practices 5 days a week, for 2 hours a day. After that much, it gets a bit difficult to put in another hour a day, plus work a job and have a life outside of music, and a wife. I juggle the best I can, but, sometimes I gotta do what makes my life easier, which is, spending time with my wife.

Do you have any other projects that you're involved with at this time?

I do occasionally play with other acts.

They are mainly country acts, but nothing steady. Just this band

Any endorsements?

No, this is an area that I am just beginning to explore. I hope to be able to at least reduce the overall cost of this hobby, until it brings in a good income!! Ha Ha!!

Do you have a day job?

Since moving here to Nashville, I have been serving tables. Previously, I was a real estate agent, back in Idaho. I have been dabbling in Real Estate here also, but am not as dedicated to it here as I was there. Both of these jobs gave me the flexibility to do what I needed to do for music. That is why I have stayed with these fields of work. I will say, I do see myself sticking with Real Estate during my down times of music. It is just something that I love to study and be involved in. The disadvantage of these is that, one: serving is done primarily in the evening, which is when you make the most money. Unfortunatly, music is played primarily in the evenings. Pick one or the other. And Real Estate, this is a lot longer process, like 2-4 months, just to get a buyer into a house. That is a lot of time, especially if you are a touring band. Some things just don't get done very well on the road, like closing a sale of a home. Bad Idea!!!!!

Tell me about your label...

Yes, the band is signed to an indie label out of London, called End of the Road Records. This label is fairly new. After doing a few festivals, the people that put on the festivals decided to start a label. The people there are good people, who are trying to help us in any way possible. It seems that the majority of the bands fans are in the UK, which is an issue, since we are here in the US. The Label only wants to deal with people there, and promote the band there. We are over here and want to tour and promote over here. Anytime the label wants us to do a mini-tour, they need to spend a fortune to get us over there. My opinion, if you have a choice, stick with a local label. Fewer headaches, plus they will be better connected to help promote your band.


When you're on the road, what do you travel in ?

We travel in a 15-passenger Dodge Van

Best part about being on tour?

Every day and every city is a new adventure!

Worst part about being on tour?

Sitting in a tour van for hours on end, just to get to a gig and end up waiting..and waiting...and waiting...for the sound guy to get there for sound check, just so he can blow right through it and say....."sounds good. Next!"

What is your band doing to think outside of the box when it comes to attracting new fans?

Good Question! Playing great music, with a solid foundation and understanding of how to play the music. Apart from having a classically trained violinist, we really try to play what the music dictates, which is rare in these days.



What sets your live show apart from others?

The fact that we can open it up and get loud, then bring the levels down and sweep out a delicate jazz tune. We have loud guitars and rockin drums, then switch to a slide guitar and brushes. We are very versitile.

What's the biggest challenge you face as a band?

I feel our biggest challenge is getting the younger audience to appreciate the musicianship that this band has to offer. Just because we don't blast the eardrums with rowdy guitars and loud drums, doesn't mean we can't play good music. Once you get past all the noise, only then can you begin to understand what music is all about.

With the major labels struggling, do you feel it's more important for a band to focus on getting signed or focus on getting a significant buzz within a given group of people?

The buzz is definitly the focus. Now, finding that given group of people is a whole new challenge. As major labels fall, that gives the determined musicians an upper hand on controlling there own career, for once.

Future plans in music?

Future plans in music? To play as much as possible, and make sure that no matter what happens, I give it my best..every day.

How much does chance play a part in the success of your band and how much of the success comes from sheer blood, sweat, and tears?

Chance is that fleeting friend, who sits in the back of your show and leaves before you get the chance to talk to them. You have to have a song/story that draws them to the front of the crowd, and then rapidly grab them, and take your opportunity while you can, cause everybody wants what you got. Until then, it's all blood, sweat, and tears! Every night! My dad continues to tell me, son "half the pay is the play". And so it is. When your done at the end of a show, there is this glow that is inexplainable. You feel invincible, given you played a good show. It really just magnifies your feelings. Good=Excellent Bad=Horrible

If you had a fifteen year old sitting in front of you and could tell him/her anything about the music business, being in a band, or drumming, what would it be?

Get a good education, so that you can afford to pay for your hobby, because, it may take you years until your hobby pays anything, if ever!

Quote that you live by?

"Every great accomplisment started, first, with a thought, then by action. Don't be afraid to take that big step, for fortune favors the bold!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment