Wednesday, August 12, 2009

What's Your Excuse...




Ever feel like not practicing? Like your limited in your abilities? Like you'll never get ahead in music?

About 9 years ago I met Dan Caro at a Guitar Center Drum Off in Metarie, LA, right outside of New Orleans. I was trying to work on my soloing abilities...I was more nervous soloing in front of 2 people at that time than I was soloing in front of 2,000, so I took this as a chance to make myself get in front of small groups of people and solo. Overall, I'm not a huge fan of solo competitions, but if you use them to serve your purpose, so be it...I'm off topic though...back to Dan...

I would never have dreamed Dan played the drums by looking at him, he has no hands to speak of...but play he does...not only does he play, he's a very talented musician with a great feel. I remember to this day being impressed with his touch, groove, and unique style. He's also one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet...beaming with optimism and always ready to flash a smile. He won the crowd over that night, as he continues to do.

Dan was born in Metarie, LA and while in the family garage at the age of 2, a pilot light of a hot water heater ignited gas fumes. Over 70% of his body was burned and he lost his right hand and most of his left. He went through numerous reconstructive surgeries, one of the last which gave him a moveable thumb on his left hand.

He started playing drums at the age of 12, using a doubled over wrist band with a rubber band wrapped around it on his right hand and gripping the stick with his thumb in his left. His drive and determination have enabled him to play with many great musicians, including Ashish Khan, Michael Ray, Walter “Wolfman” Washington, Karl Denson, Marshall Allen and Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey. A musician and a professional speaker, he's a role model for us all.

So what's your excuse...

0 comments:

Post a Comment