Monday, January 31, 2011

E-mail Question: Samba and Mambo Song Examples

Had a question come in wanting to know some good examples of the samba and mambo. These are by no means the best, they're just what I dug up on You Tube as examples.

Question:

"Hey man ! Recently I've been living off a healthy diet of your youtube lessons, I've spoke to you a couple of times about the Mambo when I was struggling with it, but I've nailed the Basic Mambo with the cascara patterns 1 & 2. I've played around with switching between the two patterns and also switching the parts of each ride cymbal pattern. I still feel a little stiff and I need to start incorporating some basic fills.

I'm actually struggling to find any good mambo music to play along to, I'm having the same trouble with Samba. I've got an app for the iphone with allows me to tune into various south american radio stations, but the groves I've been practising rarely seem to fit to the music, especially with the Mambo rhythms. They either seem too slow or I can't quite find a grove to lock into. I was wondering if you know any good music I could check out, to play the Mambo/ Samba along to. Any particular artists or websites or drumless music tracks. Anything !?

Thanks for your help, and thanks for all the endless help with the drumming, I've started to improve so much more since working my way through your videos and expanding my drum skillz."

And my short answer...

Dude, I'm so glad the lessons are helping you...I love knowing that you guys are getting something out of them!

You're tackling a HUGE topic...you can study for years and never get to the end of latin rhythms and their many different mutations...mambo in particular. That being said, it's one of the best things you could be studying...not only does it take you out of your comfort zone, it drills you on four way coordination.

To the topic of listening...One thing you should know is that when we learn and dissect rhythms, they tend to be isolated and by themselves. When you place them in the context of a song, however, that song could have many different sections, all calling for different grooves, particularly latin styles. I dug up a few of my favs and a few that I thought illustrated the styles. These are just a few examples though, and by no means are they even the best ones...their just the ones I dug up on the fly.

Chick Corea

"Spain" Go to the 1:15 mark and it'll pick up to samba speed...




"Samba Song"




This is also a GREAT video for sambas...several different genres and styles, ranging from electronic to traditional (the samba is traditionally played by a group of people in parades...think of a latin drumline)



Mambo

"Mambo No. 5" (The original 1950 version)


Tito Puente- "Mambo Diablo" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esa-jpG8Muo

"Hong Kong Mambo"




I hope all of this helps man. I can't tell you how much it makes my day to know you're improving so much...and that I had a small part in it.

Cheers!

-S

0 comments:

Post a Comment