Saturday, January 7, 2012

Question on a Chad Smith lick

"Good evening Stephen ! (I'm french so I beg your pardon for my bad english)

Firstly, I'd like to congratulate you for your videos which are very helpful, i really improved my play thanks to you! (I'm playing drums for two years). You are certainly busy, I don't want to annoy you or abuse from your work but I think you could help me. I really enjoy Chad Smith's drumming, I find it's really groovy. I try, but I don't understand a pattern



I would like to understand the pattern he is playing at 1 :00 with his floor toms and bass drum. Can you help me ?


Thank you very much !

Louis."

Hey Louis,

Thanks so much for the email! And your English is fantastic, alot better than my French, lol!!! I'm really glad the lessons are such a big help for you. That means alot.

Your questions don't annoy me at all man...that's why i'm here, to help. The pattern you're asking about is pretty simple in concept, but the speed he's playing at makes it harder. It's essentially Right-Left-Foot-Foot or Left-Right-Foot-Foot. He starts the pattern on the left hand and alternates between the two patterns I just listed. Killer melody he's making on the toms! I hope that helps you pick it apart.


Since the lessons are such a help, I thought you might be interested in a special I'm running for January. Sign up for the live lessons and you can lock in the $18.99 monthly price (for 16 half hour lessons a month, sheet music, and the live lessons vault) PLUS you get one of my books of your choice for FREE sent to your mailbox (a $19.99 value in and of itself). It's just my way of saying thanks for the support! The live lesson vault already has over 30 half hour lessons in it on everything from linear fills to James Brown grooves to the mambo, so you would have a TON to keep you occupied for a while. You can sign up here if you're interested in taking advantage of the January offer: http://stephensdrumshed.com/subscribe

Don't hesitate to send me any other questions you have!

-ST

0 comments:

Post a Comment